What to expect for a tournament weekend!
For families who are new to Vipers or travel ball, tournaments can seem overwhelming. But have no fear! We have got you covered! Here is a checklist of things you might need for a long day at the softball field:
- Uniform (Shirt, pants, sliding shorts, cleats, etc.)
- Sweatshirt/under armour (8am games can be chilly)
- Water Bottle
- Bat and Helmet
- Extra Water
- Spray bottles (it can get really hot!)
- Blankets and chairs (not always enough bleacher seating)
- 1-3 Canopies (for players and parents- check with your coach/team before purchasing)
- Water jug/cooler to refill bottles (I have one already!)
- Healthy Team snacks
- Ice Packs
- Scoring Book & Line Up Cards
Game Day Volunteers Needed
- Pregame warm-up assistance - 2-3 parents
- Scorekeeper - hard copy - 1 parent
- Scorekeeper - Game Changer App - 1 parent
- Game time manager (keep official game start time and provide updates) - 1 parent
- Organize team snack volunteers (to be done before the tournament) - 1-3 parents
Other things to keep in mind:
- We may not find parking close to the field and we may change fields after every game, so be prepared to carry your gear/snacks/equipment. Having a rolling cart or rolling cooler may be useful.
- You will most likely need to be at the field an hour early to warm-up. For an 8 am game, that means being at the field by 7am. Please plan ahead (have breakfast, be packed the night before, check traffic/directions, etc.)
- Tournament locations are often somewhat remote and we may not be located near any restaurants or stores so plan ahead for lunch.
- We recommend having healthy team snacks available after the games. Sharing this responsibility between multiple families will help keep this manageable!
- It can get really hot playing in the sun all day. For weekends that we know it will be blazing hot, bringing frozen wet towels or rags can help the girls cool off between games.
- Bathrooms are not always fully stocked so extra TP and hand sanitizer are good to keep on hand.